Radius: Off
km Set radius for geolocation

Netherlands Work permit, Dutch Resident permit for Non EU

If you don’t come from an EU or EEA country, or you’re not Swiss, you will need to apply for a residence permit (MVV) and in some cases a work permit (TWV).

Dutch Resident permit

The requirement whether to obtain a Residence permit in the Netherlands or not is defined by your nationality and the length of your stay in the territory.

Citizens from EU or EEA country, or Switzerland do not need any resident permit to work and live if you stay less than four month in Holland (EC treaty). In case your jouney lasts longer, they you will have to inform your local municipality.

Some countries countries have a non-visa treaty with the Netherlands. In this scheme, there is no permit obligation under 90 days of presence within the territory. If no treaty exists, you need to obtain a short stay permit.

If you intent to stay more than four months, then a resident permit or MVV (Machtiging tot Voorlopig Verblijf) is mandatory. If your are a non-resident and plans to work for Dutch company, your future employer is able to sponsor you. Application is open for you or your sponsor, either before your arrival at your home embassy or once arrived at the IND. This permit distinguish you from a standard tourist for a resident status.

Dutch work permit

As well as for Dutch resident permit, you do not need any work permit if you come from an EU or EEA country, or Switzerland.

Concerning the other home countries, certain category of foreign workers obtain work permit coupled with their resident permit. This is avoiding the need for a separate work permit or qualification test. It is the case for categories such as holders of a Blue Card, freelancers and self-employed, relatives of a work permit holders or high skilled workers. 

Finally, non-dutch residents not filling the conditions above must apply for a TWV work permit (ewerkstellingsvergunning) alongside and additionally to their Dutch resident permit.

Since 2015, the Netherlands also offers a one year residence permit called ‘startup visa’. This is particularly fitted for Non EU resident to launch their business in the Netherlands.

Contact a Dutch resident permit experts for an personal assessment of your situation ;